Our Rig

Our Rig
Camping

Friday, September 28, 2018

Why did I came back to Datil New Mexico

This our 17th summer rving in North America and the first or second time going to a place we were before, there were beautiful places we wanted to see again but were always curious to explore new to us ones, that's our “gypsy “ soul...

Here is a short version story explaining why we made a huge detour to come again to Datil.

It all started in 2005,we were on the way to Carlsbad Caverns and stopped on the way for the night but some how did not liked the place and continued on till we arrived to Datil Gas station and RV C.G.

As I am making my way to the gas station to pay the fee for the C.G I felt a tap on my shoulder and a “Cowboy” asked me if the writing on my T shirt is in Jewish, “It is Hebrew the language we speak in Israel “ I said.

The guy was so surprised that we are from Israel and pointed to his son that was in the pick up that recognized the letters from his Bible classes.

This was to much for us ,so we asked them to come over to the trailer and chat , the son (Joshua) could not make it because his wife and kids were waiting for him in the SUKAH (a Jewish Holiday) but the Father (Gugie) came over with a six pack.

Shula made dinner and we had a long talk into the night where we found out that his mother was Jewish and therefore he is Jewish (Accordingly to Jewish tradition if your MOTHER is Jewish the children are Jewish) , he married to a non Jewish women so his children aren't Jewish but he feels and follows with his family the Jewish tradition and was very happy to meet for his first time someone from the Holy Land.

Before we parted he took off from his hand an Indian bracelet with a watch and puts it on my hand pointing out that there is a “D” curved on it and says” The “D” is Danny and God told me that I will meet you,you are my brother from Israel” ,nothing I did made him take the bracelet back.

P1050605

(Gugie is the one with the ring on his hand.)

It was very emotional,touching and spiritual evening.

The next morning he,his son,wife and 2 kids came to say good buy not before we gave them some Charmes  from Jerusalem, which they showed us as we meet again in 2018.

Since then I called Gugie every time we come over (he has no Internet address or a smart phone..) but lately he changed his phone number and we could not get hold of him.

This year I decided that I have to find him and after many calls,internet searching and phone directory books that lead to nowhere I finally called the Gas Station in Datil ,where we meet in 2005 and got a telephone of one of his sons, from there it was easy, we finally meet after 13 years and had a great 3 days together.

We meet almost all his family ,kids ,grand kids and great grand kids .

It was again emotional ,rewarding and difficult to say goodbyes..

Here are some pictures from our “get together” after 13 years...


P1050570P1050620P1050621P1050622P1050624

I have to add that all this event could easily happen with anyone and it has nothing to do with his believes, but it happened only because his son recognized the Hebrew letters on the back of my T shirt....Faith??? ,It had to Happen?? Why did we chose this C.G  or have this T shirt on and why did he have “D” on the bracket? .

Believe what you want it was an outstanding experience for all of us.

1 comment:

paulakitt said...

yes, I believe there are people in this world we are meant to have a connection with. I'm glad you were able to renew the connection face-to-face.